Fondazione "Tito Balestra" - Longiano

http://dati.emilia-romagna.it/id/ibc/IT-ER-FC048 an entity of type: Museum

After extensive restoration efforts, the Fondazione Tito Balestra Onlus is once again open to the public. The foundation was established in 1986 with the aim of preserving the modern art collection that had belonged to the Longiano-born poet and writer Tito Balestra (1923-1976). It is located in the Malatesta Castle, and houses the entire collection of about 2,300 paintings, drawings, and sculptures. Balestra – who was the author of many poetry collections, from Quiproquo, published by Garzanti in 1974 to Poesie di Liestal, published in 1976, and was a contributing author to Il Mondo and other literary magazines – accumulated much of his collection in Rome, where he lived for many years and rubbed elbows with the city’s arts community. The collection features numerous noteworthy items, particularly with regards to 20th century Italian figurative art. The Fondazione Tito Balestra owns one of Italy’s largest collections of the works of Mino Maccari. The castle’s halls display paintings and drawings by Mafai, Rosai, de Pisis, Morandi, Guttuso, Vespignani, Bartolini, Zancanaro, Ziveri, Sironi, Fantuzzi, Campigli, Vangelli and other 20th century masters. One room is dedicated to foreign artists such as Matisse, Chagall, Kokoschka, Goya, Twombly, and Heckel. The foundation tirelessly promotes its own collections and organizes important exhibitions on leading figures in 20th century Italian art and literature. The Fondazione Tito Balestra was granted official recognition in 1989, and has been active since 1991. It was established after Anna Maria De Agazio, the widow of the 20th century poet Balestra, donated 2,300 paintings, drawings, and sculptures to the Longiano municipal administration. The Balestra collection was exhibited for the first time in 1982 in the town hall. It was then moved to the Malatesta Castle, which was originally built by the Longobards in the first half of the 11th century, and became the residence of the House of Malatesta from 1295 to 1462. It subsequently became Papal property, and was granted to the Modenese noble House of Rangoni as their feud until 1531; afterwards, it remained Papal property until it was expropriated under Napoleon’s rule. After Italian unification, the castle was restored, and its Sala dell’Arengo and adjacent rooms were decorated by Giovanni Canepa and Girolamo Bellani; during World War Two, the imposing castle also sheltered evacuees in its tunnels. The foundation is run by Flaminio Balestra, with the aim of studying and disseminating knowledge on contemporary visual arts. The foundation is also seeking to expand and promote its collections – especially with regards to graphic arts, which make up a particularly important share - through its permanent and temporary exhibitions, and events linked to new donations and acquisitions. The Museum’s exhibitions are located on the first, second, and third floors of the castle. They are organized into different sections and display the works of Luciano Bartolini, Massimo Campigli, Pietro Consagra, Filippo de Pisis, Riccardo Francalancia, Renato Guttuso, Mino Maccari, Mario Mafai, Giacomo Manzù, Marino Marini, Mario Sironi, Ardengo Soffici, Antonello Trombadori, Antonio Vangelli, Alberto Sughi, Ottone Rosai, Ennio Morlotti, Giorgio Morandi, Renzo Vespignani, Tono Zancanaro, Francisco Goya y Lucientes, Marc Chagall, Oscar Kokoscha, Ferdinand Leger, Henry Matisse, Georges Rouault, and Cy Twombly; along with an important collection of 1,800 oil paintings and graphic art by Mino Maccari. The mezzanine floor houses the foundation’s temporary exhibitions, which include the annual art, music, and poetry review Wise are the muses, and the following exhibitions: Cuba la isla grande: Art, society, and culture; Antonio Vangelli: works from 1946 to 1997, Vanitas vanitatum, & omnia vanita:Vanity in contemporary Italian painting and sculpture; Mino Maccari’s etchings for “Il Selvaggio” 1924-1943; Renzo Vespignani: Drawings and acquaforte etchings 1943-1983; Lalla Romano: paintings, drawings, manuscripts, and documents and A Homage to Anna Romano on the Centenary of her Birth , the monographic exhibition dedicated to Ilario Fioravanti titled Eighty etchings, Mourning on Dead Christ, sculptures, drawings, and etchings 1973-1998, the retrospective on Francesco, Gaetano, and Rosalba Arcangeli and the constant initiatives to commemorate the poet Tito Balestra. The foundation’s activities continued with retrospectives on Pirro Cuniberti, Umberto Giovannini, Giuliano Giuliani, and Renato Guttuso; the exhibition Edoardo Sanguineti: Words, images, and music; and finally the latest instalment of the annual review Wise are the muses: travelling with Michel Butor. Also of note are: "Giovanni Sesto Menghi. La vita e l'arte. Ritrovamenti e scoperte"; "Mario Dondero. Una commedia umana. Ritratti e reportage"the installation art performance "Lo sdrucciolo cuore che in me è ribelle. Letture da poetesse del Novecento", the cycle of seminars "Gli artisti di Tito Balestra", "Gian Ruggero Manzoni. L’ombra della parola", "Pierre Leloup / Mylène Besson. Pas de deux. Opere recenti", events included in "Sagge sono le Muse - intermezzo 2008", "Guido Strazza. Dipinti, disegni, sculture dal 1952 al 2008", "Franco Gentilini. Opere dal 1942 al 1980", "Gianni Cestari. Viaggio senza mappa, tra Ariosto, Coronelli e Rosen", "Il presepe celeste e trenta disegni inediti di Claudio Palmieri", "Ricordo di Toti Scialoja", "Collezione 7x11. La poesia degli artisti", "Venti opere e il presepe dischiuso di Bruno Conte" and "Michel Butor. Ritorno a Longiano".
Ha riaperto al pubblico, dopo importanti lavori di restauro, la Fondazione Tito Balestra Onlus. Costituitasi nel 1986 con lo scopo di tutelare la raccolta d'arte moderna del poeta e scrittore longianese Tito Balestra (1923-1976), la Fondazione ha sede nel Castello Malatestiano, dove si conserva l'intera collezione comprendente circa duemilatrecento opere pittoriche, grafiche e scultoree. Formatasi durante il lungo periodo di vita trascorso a Roma da Balestra (autore di numerose raccolte poetiche, da 'Quiproquo' edito da Garzanti nel 1974 a 'Poesie di Liestal' del 1976, e collaboratore de 'Il Mondo' e di altre riviste letterarie) a contatto con gli ambienti artistici della capitale, la collezione presenta elementi di particolare interesse nel contesto della vicenda figurativa italiana del Novecento. Dell'opera di Mino Maccari, la Fondazione Tito Balestra detiene uno dei fondi più rilevanti tuttora esistenti a livello nazionale. Nelle sale del castello sono esposte serie pittoriche e grafiche di Mafai, Rosai, de Pisis, Morandi, Guttuso, Vespignani, Bartolini, Zancanaro, Ziveri, Sironi, Fantuzzi, Campigli, Vangelli e di altri maestri novecenteschi. Una sala è dedicata alle opere di artisti stranieri, quali Matisse, Chagall, Kokoschka, Goya, Twombly, Heckel. La Fondazione, oltre a svolgere un'intensa attività di promozione e valorizzazione del proprio patrimonio, realizza importanti rassegne espositive sui protagonisti dell'arte e della letteratura del Novecento italiano. Riconosciuta ufficialmente nel 1989 ed attiva dal 1991, la Fondazione Tito Balestra nasce sulla base della donazione di 2300 opere, dipinti, sculture e grafica, effettuata dalla vedova del poeta novecentesco, Anna Maria De Agazio, all’Amministrazione comunale di Longiano. Esposta per la prima volta nel 1982 in una sala comunale, la collezione Balestra ha trovato sede nel Castello Malatestiano, le cui origini longobarde risalgono a prima della metà del Mille per poi essere residenza dei Malatesta dal 1295 al 1462 e poi passare alla proprietà del pontefice che, lo concesse in feudo ai conti Rangoni di Modena sino al 1531; in seguito rimase alla chiesa per poi esserle espropriato durante il regno napoleonico. Dopo l’unità d’Italia, il castello veniva restaurato e decorato, nella Sala dell’Arengo e in quelle adiacenti, da Giovanni Canepa e Girolamo Bellani; e la sua imponente struttura difensiva accoglieva, nel corso della seconda guerra mondiale, gli sfollati sotto i suoi cunicoli. Curata da Flaminio Balestra, la Fondazione opera con l’obiettivo di studio e divulgazione della conoscenza delle arti visuali contemporanee ed il loro costante incremento, soprattutto della grafica di cui possiede un cospicuo patrimonio, attraverso l’esposizione permanente, mostre temporanee ed eventi correlati a donazioni e nuove acquisizioni. Il percorso espositivo del museo si snoda sui piani del castello, dal primo al terzo, dove si trovano, divisi per sezioni, i lavori di Luciano Bartolini, Massimo Campigli, Pietro Consagra, Filippo de Pisis, Riccardo Francalancia, Renato Guttuso, Mino Maccari, Mario Mafai, Giacomo Manzù, Marino Marini, Mario Sironi, Ardengo Soffici, Antonello Trombadori, Antonio Vangelli, Alberto Sughi, Ottone Rosai, Ennio Morlotti, Giorgio Morandi, Renzo Vespignani, Tono Zancanaro, Francisco Goya y Lucientes, Marc Chagall, Oscar Kokoscha, Ferdinand Leger, Henry Matisse, Georges Rouault, Cy Twombly; nonché un’importante raccolta di milleottocento olii ed opre grafiche di Mino Maccari e sculture di Amelio Roccamonte, Pietro Guida, Antonio Mangelli e Ilario Fioravanti e Alan Gattamorta. Al piano seminterrato si svolge l’attività espositiva temporanea della Fondazione, di cui si ricorda la rassegna annuale d’arte, musica e poesia Sagge sono le muse; le mostre Cuba la isla grande. Arte società e cultura, Antonio Vangelli. Opere dal 1946 al 1997, Vanitas vanitatum, & omnia vanita.Il tema della vanità nella pittura e nella scultura italiana contemporanea, Incisioni di Mino Maccari per “Il Selvaggio” 1924-1943, Renzo Vespignani. Disegni e incisioni all’acquaforte 1943-1983, Lalla Romano Pittura Disegni Manoscritti e Documenti, e successivamente l’Omaggio a Lalla Romano nel centenario della nascita, poi le monografiche dedicate a Ilario Fioravanti: Ottanta incisioni, Compianto sul Cristo, Sculture Disegni incisioni 1973-1998, la grande retrospettiva sul profilo artistico di Francesco, Gaetano e Rosalba Arcangeli e la continua memoria, attraverso varie iniziative, del poeta Tito Balestra. L’attività è proseguita con le mostre antologiche su Pirro Cuniberti, Umberto Giovannini, Giuliano Giuliani, Renato Guttuso, Edoardo Sanguineti. Parola immagine musica, ed infine l’ultimo appuntamento della rassegna ciclica Sagge sono le muse. In viaggio con Michel Butor. Da ricordare anche: "Giovanni Sesto Menghi. La vita e l'arte. Ritrovamenti e scoperte"; "Mario Dondero. Una commedia umana. Ritratti e reportage", la performance - installazione "Lo sdrucciolo cuore che in me è ribelle. Letture da poetesse del Novecento", il ciclo di incontri "Gli artisti di Tito Balestra", "Gian Ruggero Manzoni. L’ombra della parola", "Pierre Leloup / Mylène Besson. Pas de deux. Opere recenti" eventi nell'ambito di "Sagge sono le Muse - intermezzo 2008", "Guido Strazza. Dipinti, disegni, sculture dal 1952 al 2008", "Franco Gentilini. Opere dal 1942 al 1980", "Gianni Cestari. Viaggio senza mappa, tra Ariosto, Coronelli e Rosen", "Il presepe celeste e trenta disegni inediti di Claudio Palmieri", "Ricordo di Toti Scialoja", "Collezione 7x11. La poesia degli artisti", "Venti opere e il presepe dischiuso di Bruno Conte" e "Michel Butor. Ritorno a Longiano".
Fondazione "Tito Balestra" - Longiano 
Fondazione "Tito Balestra" 
12,32435109729260 
44,07235002374890 
Arte 
IT-ER-FC048 
1988 

data from the linked data cloud

DATA

Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 International (CC BY 3.0)