Gemma 1786. Museo Mineralogico e Geologico Estense - Modena

http://dati.emilia-romagna.it/id/ibc/IT-ER-MO038 an entity of type: Museum

As for the Palaeontology Museum, the Museum of Mineralogy and Geology also owes its existence to the 1786 donation of the Bishop of Modena Giuseppe Maria Foglian’s natural history collection to the University. In 1814 the collection was greatly augmented by the donation of a valuable collection of minerals on the part of Maximillian, brother of Duke Francis IV of Austria-Este. In this same period, following the purchase of additional facilities on the second floor of the current University building, the geo-mineralogical collections were separated from the zoological ones. Along with interesting sections on local mineralogy and petrology, the museum also features several rare specimens, such as the meteor that fell in Albereto di Modena in 1765 and a collection of zeolites (aluminosilicate mineral crystals, with a microporous structure in which water is present) unmatched anywhere else in the world. In 2005, in order to acquire greater visibility, the Museum adopted the simple, yet evocative name 'Gemma 1786'. After the museum’s initial phase, its patrimony grew by leaps and bounds after 1840, when Pietro Doderlein was appointed Professor of Natural History. The founding father of paleontological and geological studies in Modena, he not only enlarged the museum, but also completely overhauled it, augmenting its mineralogical, geological, and especially paleontological collections thanks to fieldwork conducted throughout the Duchy of Este. The mineralogy section reached its apogee in the second half of the 19th century. In 1877, under the direction of Gustavo Utzeli, the museum’s collections began to be re-arranged, with the drafting of a catalogue using the Dana classification (1875). During his stay in Modena, Dante Pantanelli continued Uzielli’s catalogue, for a total of 2,800 specimens. In 1879, Carlo Boni purchased a collection of about 3,500 specimens, accompanied by a handwritten catalogue. The collections were evacuated during World War II, and divided between the institutes of Palaeontology, Mineralogy, and Geology. In addition to the historic collections, the museum’s holdings have been constantly augmented by the research conducted in Italy and abroad by the University’s geologists and mineralogists.
Al pari delle collezioni museali di paleontologia, il Museo di Geologia e Mineralogia trae origine dalla donazione (1786) del vescovo di Modena Giuseppe Maria Fogliani della sua raccolta naturalistica all'Università. Nel 1814 la collezione si arricchisce notevolmente con la donazione di una preziosa collezione di minerali da parte di Massimiliano, fratello del duca Francesco IV d'Austria-Este. In questo stesso momento, in seguito all'acquisto di nuovi locali al secondo piano dell'attuale Palazzo Universitario, ha inizio la separazione delle raccolte geo-mineralogiche da quelle zoologiche. Oltre ad interessanti sezioni di mineralogia e petrografia regionale, il museo possiede alcuni esemplari rari, come la meteorite caduta ad Albereto di Modena nel 1765 e una collezione di zeoliti (alluminosilicati cristallini, con struttura molecolare a micropori in cui è presente acqua) unica al mondo. Dal 2005, nella volontà di proporsi al pubblico in un'ottica di maggior visibilità, il Museo ha adottato il nome semplice quanto evocativo di 'Gemma 1786'. Dopo la fase degli esordi, un ulteriore salto di qualità nell'accrescimento del patrimonio museale si registra allorquando, nel 1840, viene incaricato dell'Insegnamento di Storia Naturale Pietro Doderlein. Fondatore e studioso della paleontologia e geologia modenese, egli non solo incrementa il museo, ma lo riorganizza completamente, arricchendo le raccolte universitarie mineralogiche, geologiche e, principalmente, paleontologiche, grazie a campagne di ricerca e indagini sul campo nelle terre degli Stati Estensi. La sezione mineralogica conosce forse il momento di maggiore floridezza nella seconda metà dell'800. Il riordino del materiale viene iniziato nel 1877 da Gustavo Uzielli con la redazione di un catalogo secondo la classificazione del Dana (1875). Durante il suo soggiorno a Modena, Dante Pantanelli continua il catalogo dell'Uzielli, giungendo a classificare complessivamente circa 2800 esemplari. Risale al 1879 l'acquisto da Carlo Boni di una collezione composta di circa 3500 esemplari, accompagnata dal catalogo manoscritto. Le vicende belliche degli anni '40 hanno causato lo sfollamento delle collezioni e il loro smembramento in relazione alla divisione tra Istituti di Paleontologia, Mineralogia e Geologia. Oltre alle collezioni storiche, il patrimonio museale si è nel frattempo costantemente arricchito grazie alle ricerche effettuate sia in Italia che all'estero dai geologi e mineralogisti dell'Università a fini studio e didattici.
Gemma 1786. Museo Mineralogico e Geologico Estense - Modena 
Gemma 1786. Museo Mineralogico e Geologico Estense 
10,92413031447280 
44,64677257564370 
Scienza e Storia naturale 
IT-ER-MO038 
1786 

data from the linked data cloud

DATA

Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 International (CC BY 3.0)